Tuesday, August 31, 2021

YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE - AGAIN...

 







There is a shortage of real sunshine around here 

as the skies are filled with smoke,

so we are moving into the sitting room to find more shining sunflowers. 

 My sweet Captain trekked to the store,

 mask in place, to pick me up a couple of the real things.

.  Placed in a salt glazed crock

 along with some greens from the garden

 and they bring a smile to our faces

 which is greatly needed these days.






I ordered four more of 

the "cheap" pillows from Amazon.  

Sometimes cheap is a good thing and sometimes not so much. 

 They were actually pretty ugly 

and not exactly what I expected. 

 No worries, 

just turn them over and stencil something else on the back.  

Blue and white checks saved the day on two of them,

 and two more have their sights set on black and white checks. 

 Just a little something extra 

for a cheap price.






Our Covid counts 

keep going up 

and to the ones who are making it happen,

 I have a small reminder 

for you here.






I don't know if we are in dress rehearsals for the real thing,

 but this is the second time in two weeks 

that we have been close to evacuating. 

 This last one, the Bennett Fire,

 was very close 

and they stopped the evacuation line just two roads over from us. 

 Before, I had just almost reached the point

 of loading up a box with the essentials 

should it become necessary, 

but this time I actually did do it. 

 The box now sits in the corner of 

the dining room,

 waiting for a reality,

 which we hope never comes





I am still resting my back

 and found a couple of canvas squares sitting around 

and I thought it would be fun to paint some little quilt squares. 

 I doubt that anyone seriously making a quilt would use these colors

 but they seemed to compliment the painting on display.  

I made another that will go up

 when fall gets here.





Speaking of fall, 

it cannot come too soon.  

We usually get a bit of rain,

 just in time when the trees are turning, 

so that the colors don't last as long as I would like, 

and I complain about that a lot, 

but I will take it this year,

 if it will stop the chance of more fires.

 





Remember when I finished
 this paint by number painting last year? 
 I didn't think 
the original, large flower
 in center of painting, (left bottom corner),
 was to my liking. 
 I tried to make it more appealing 
and after numerous tries,
 I came up with the (right bottom corner). 
 This year, I tried again
 and finally came up with this one (top). 
 It is a little better, I think!







I made a bolognese sauce recipe 

from Kim

 at Exquisitely Unremarkable (here)

 I followed her instructions to a T

 and it was undeniably delicious. 

 We will eat it for three nights

 and I can't wait until the next two. 

 I went old-school,

 and I do mean oooooold school, 

with the side dish. 

 My grandmother, and then my mom, 

made what they called Spanish Beans 

and they always served jello salad along side. 

 I remember them saying 

that it was good with

 anything having a tomato base and I agree. 

 It is so refreshing

 especially in hot weather. 

 I use lime jello and add

 a can of fruit cocktail to the first layer

 and cottage cheese, mixed with

 a little mayo, in the second. 

 Before you roll your eyes 

you should try it. 

 Sometimes it just feels good 

to go back, and beyond,

 to the good old-fashioned days. 

 Just ask any grandma!





More Shining Sunflower Days

 to you all.



...Judy...




Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

23 comments:

  1. Judy, the sunflowers are beautiful. They make me smile. The pillows are darling. Great job on the paint by number. In fact, I too bought some lovely sunflowers at our local Farmer's market for a dinner part4y. The themes was sunflowers and checks. I also made a bolognese sauce for our dinner. The smoke is awful. I feel like the whole state of California is on fire. The Caldor fire is fast approaching South lake Tahoe. I am praying for rain. I look forward to fall, because this summer has been a nightmare. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. This summer has been one for the books! I can't wait for fall..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. My mother used to make that jello salad all the time but she used pineapple instead of fruit cocktail and 7up or ginger ale for part of the water and added a bit of finely chopped celery. I used to make it when my kids were little, too. I think your painting turned out great although I did like last years painting, too.
    Stay safe and I certainly hope the fires don't come near you. That is always scary! Love to you, Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. I will have to try all that, it sounds good too. It sure is a refreshing salad. I am hoping we have seen the last of the fires for this year. Lake Tahoe is threatened this time, that is big stuff..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Judy how awful you have to think about maybe packing up and evacuating. Prayers that does not happen. Your jello sounds like the old recipe my grandmother would make. Yum. Remember one two three jello too. The three different layers of jello. Have a good week. Stay safe. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Today you would never know there was any fire problems. The sun is out and the skies are clear and we don't hear any planes flying over. Life is good..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. My mom made that lime jello salad too! She had two kinds, one was called tomato aspic.. which was veggies, tomatoes and celery in the jello with some mayonnaise mixed in. The other was the lime jello with pears and mayonnaise in it which I loved then and still serve to this day. Some people do roll their eyes at it, but then they try it and like it. I think she also used pineapple sometimes too. I sure do love that sunflower painting you did.. and the fresh bouquet! We had smoke for a week and now today it is pretty clear, but no winds to blow it to us from the north. I'm praying for rain here and all of Oregon, Wash. and California! I don't see ANY in the next month's forecast! Take care and have a good week. xoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I know the "younger crowd" probably don't even know what jello is!! It is good on a very hot day. We could sure use some rain, but I don't see any coming either, but today is very pretty with sunny skies and no smoke. Not too hot but think that is coming again down the line..Take care and Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy! Oh, I'm glad you're safe! I pray it stays that way for you. Those fires are so scary! Well you covered it all here - pretty decorating, great crafting and you even fed me! Stay safe.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelia. It is good to hear from you. We are safe and today looks beautiful so hopefully it stays that way..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Our Covid numbers are going up and up, too. I hate it. But I did get my booster, for what it is worth. I worry about you and others with the fires. Please stay safe and well. It's rugged, being hit from all sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. Yes, our numbers were 121 for just today! I cancelled my lunch with my friends again. They probably think I am nuts but I just won't put myself out there. I hate it too and I'm beginning to think that these businesses that put a sign on their front door "Masks Required" and then let ones in without masks and still wait on them are just as responsible of spreading and should have their doors closed! I am mad!. Today is a beautiful day with no smoke or sign of a close fire. Hope it stays that way..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Oh Judy! I'm so glad you are still okay with the fires. Way too close!! I had to look twice at the jello. Been AGES. But yes, so good. Golly I am old. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jacqueline. We are OK so far and it is a beautiful day today so we are very thankful and hope it stays this way. That jello salad is so good, and being old is a good thing (sometimes) because most of the "younguns" probably don't even know what jello is!..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy, I'm so glad you liked the sauce!! We eat it for days, too. Sometimes the kids put it on a roll and eat it like a sloppy joe. Stay safe in the fires, my friend. I've been thinking of you.xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. We finally finished it up. I think it would be great over mashed potatoes too. Hope you are doing well..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Oh I hope you do not have to leave with your box. So scary. I do like the checked pillows. My mom use to make that jello salad. Was not a fan of it myself. I prefer just eating jello. In Michigan here a few counties to the North of us, they have a quilt bard tour. These folks painted quilt blocks on the side of their barns. Yours reminded me of that. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I have always like jello anywhich way. I have read about the barn paintings and have always wanted to see one. Maybe I will look on Pinterest and they might have some as I would like to find some more patterns. They are fun to do..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Hi Judy! I hope and pray you do not have to evacuate. Your pillow cover fix turned out really nice. I am also craving spaghetti right now, lol! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. We did not have to evacuate and I hope we never do. Right now, it has cooled down considerable and no fires in our general area. I hope it stays that way. The backs of those pillows are always plain so if they don't look like you wanted, it is easy to do something else on the other side. Two for the cheap price of one.. I think that is going to be my spaghetti sauce of choice from now on. It was so good..Happy Friday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Stay safe in the fires, I hope you do not have to evacuate.
    Thinking of you and sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. No, we didn't have to evacuate, not so far anyway and no signs of a fire close to us today!..Thank you for your visit and your concerns and hope all is well with you..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Judy,
    Thank Goodness you did not have to evacuate...What a lovely post and the sunflowers are beautiful!!I love your Paint by numbers painting! I wish I could send you some of the rain we have been having. 2 1/4 inch yesterday just from a front, not even a Hurricane! Crazy weather!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy