Tuesday, March 29, 2022

GETTING TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM...

 





This is how the Cottage looked when we bought it over 30 years ago.  The tree in question can be seen behind the van in top left of photo.


Some months ago, 

I told you that an old Sequoia redwood tree just on the edge of our property line

 was causing havoc with our driveway

 and the very foundation of the Cottage. 

 We informed the owner of the property, where the tree is growing, 

about the problems 

and his insurance company

 got in touch with us. 

 They agreed to cut the roots

 that are causing the damage 

and repair our driveway and fence.




This is a very old and huge tree

 and should never have been planted 

where it is in the first place,

 but friends my age

 have told stories about every

 school age child being sent home

 with the seed of a Sequoia redwood started in a paper cup 

to be planted in their gardens, 

and there are many, now aged and grown, sprinkled throughout the community. 

 I have grown up around redwood trees, being raised in Santa Cruz, California, 

but the California redwoods are a very different animal from the Sequoia. 

  There are many beautiful trees in nature, 

 but the one causing such problems for us

 is harsh and sharp.

 It may be a majestic tree

 but, in my opinion, 

not a very pretty, or appealing one.

 The dry, barbed needles that are 

constantly falling to the ground

 stick to our shoes, get stuck in the dog's fur, and are tracked all over the Cottage.




There are some neighbors 

that are objecting to what we are doing. 

  My question to them is 

where were they when the city hired 

someone to trim the branches 

from around the electrical wires

 and left this tree

 looking like a 

butchered piece of ugliness. 

 It would have been nice

 if they had come forward then

 and spoke their peace

 in order that a reputable company 

might have been hired 

that knew what they were doing.











The company hired to do the job showed up last Monday morning 

and in no time flat they had 

the fence taken down

 and the cement and blacktop torn up, 

along with the ivy 

that had been struggling to grow

 and finally was starting to fill in. 

 The equipment they used 

barely fit in the driveway

 but they managed 

like there was nothing to it.  

They took many loads away in their trucks

 and since all the streets 

around are so narrow 

there were a few traffic jams 

during the process.





The Captain had to go 

for a hearing test on Wednesday 

so we didn't get to see

 where this big root came from, 

but when we returned home,

 it was sitting next to the house. 

 This was the biggest culprit

 that was causing the damage 

and they had to dig a big hole

 right where the root now sits, 

going under the house in the process. 

 By the time we got home

 it was all filled back in.  

Our next door neighbor

 said it was quite a sight.







The old root's swan song.


The next morning

 the crew picked up the root 

and took it to its final resting place.




The fence has been put back up 

with all new posts and footings

 and now we have to wait

 for another company to come 

and do the blacktop. 

 We had a little rain last night

 but there were no major mudslides.


...Judy...



Have a wonderful week, stay safe, enjoy the springtime...




...and always, always

 save room for cake!


Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda








31 comments:

  1. Wow-That was quite a process, Judy! I am glad it is done but what a lot of hoopla. Thank Goodness the insurance paid for the work to be done. I hope you have a great day and I will save room for cake! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. It was and is still a process. Yes, thanks to the insurance company paying for it. When it is all said and done it will have cost about $12,000. A person should really think before they plant something that big around residential areas..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Wow what a mess and process. That was fast work on their part too. Glad it is all done and out of your pipes. What will happen if that tree ever falls or dies out and falls. Yikes.
    Hope the blacktop goes well. Yum I am always ready for cake. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Frankly, we wanted the whole tree taken down but it would have been very costly and the insurance company didn't want to deal with it. Everynight when there is a storm I go to bed wondering what the morning will bring, but it has been here for umpteen years and those roots must go all over every inch of this county (so everyone says) and we did cut some out when we first bought the house so I'm sure it wont die or fall (I hope!). Now we have to get something planted on the bank before too much rain comes again..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Your next door neighbor will probably be hiring them in due course because with roots like that, if it's hitting your house, it is probably throwing their foundation out of whack too. Glad about the insurance, for sure! What a project but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I would imagine that those roots go all over to every house around here. It was quite an expensive job for the insurance company (about $12,000 when all done). It is something we certainly couldn't have paid for on our own. The next house we every buy I will be on the lookout for things like this.. Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Wow, I thought the neighbors monster Elm here was an issue?? Yikes, that is a huge tree, and that root, surprised your house didn't launch up in the air! Yes, it is always hard to give up trees, especailly when so many are harmed every year. Now you can breathe a little easier! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. We are thankful that the insurance company OK'd the deal but if I could have had my wishes it would all be gone. I do love trees but they are all not equal! I still worry when it is stormy but it has been standing for a long time now so hopefully that won't become a problem..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Wowza! That's one huge root. I'm glad that your problem is solved...or at least partially, but I know it's such a disruption and a worry. Hopefully the tree will stay put, but you won't have anymore issues. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. It should be better for the next 30 years at least. As sad as it is to say, I really wish we could have gotten rid of the whole tree..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. We had to take down a very, very large fir tree on our property last year. It is hard to say good-bye to those old trees, but it was also tearing up the sidewalk etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carrie. Sometimes you just have to go for it. Our old cottage is 152 years old and still standing but we wanted it to last another few years anyway! I love most trees but not this one..Thanks for your visit..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. I sure hope removing that root does not cause the tree now to topple over or to rot from the inside. We had a tree once do that, and it just came down on a bright sunny day with no wind. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I am sure you are glad it was fixed now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janice, you are a ray of sunshine. Thanks so much..haha..That was my first concern too but sources that know!!(hopefully) have said that tree has a root system that won't quit and will hold on for dear life. I wanted the old thing gone all together but since it isn't--only good thoughts..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. That was a huge root. Let's hope the tree is solid and will not fall. My neighbours have a large tree that should be cut and I'm afraid it could fall on my house because the wind blows in my direction most of the time.
    I'm happy for you that insurance covered the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Thelma. Everyone who is supposed to be knowledgeable in all things trees tell us that this particular tree has so many deep roots that it can't fall because of what we did. Hopefully they are right but I do go to bed some nights wondering..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Wow! That has to be the largest root on a tree that I have ever seen!
    It looked pretty healthy; therefore encroaching on your property and wreaking havoc.
    Happy for you to have the root dug out and fence put back. I hope that the blacktop work is done nicely too.

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kerin. I am glad that part of it is done, we are still waiting to start the blacktop then it will not seem we are driving on a roller coaster!..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. WOW!! JUDY!!
    WOW!! I think I am am speechless and that does not happen often!! That was one big root!! WOW!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!! Stay safe, healthy and happy, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. In order to do the damage that it did, I thought it must be a big one or a whole lot of little ones. I did not think it could be that big!..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. A few years ago my country was hit by a massive hurricane. Nothing out of the woods in some places. Since then, I have been concerned about the increase in trees. I also trim the trees near my house for the sake of safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I know that a lot of people are concerned when cutting a tree is mentioned. But, I agree with you. If you live close to big ones they should be maintained..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Hi Judy! Wow! That root was enormous! They sure can wreak havoc with foundations, sewer systems, etc. Glad it was taken care of for you. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. It is a big tree and it has created a big problem. I wish it was all gone but we got done what we could..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. That weas quite the mess Judy. That tree is huge. I see some of those tree companies cutting trees. Some are left so ugly. The tree root is huge. So glad things were taken care of. There are always some neighbors who complain. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your visit. I don't know what these companies get paid but they should be picked with better know how. There is no excuse to butcher the job like they do..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. It's a wonder that tree didn't do a lot of damage to your foundation. Good it's gone. It's like in my neighborhood, trees that are forest trees were planted in front yards and back yards. My brother had a maple that made it's way to the plumbing in his house. I know you feel a lot better with that tree gone. I will plant something different, maybe. Now it's time for cake! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. I wish that tree was gone, but we were only able to get the large root taken care of. It has a very invasive root system that goes, probably, throughout the whole neighborhood. We just happen to be the closest. The plan at first was to cut down the whole tree but the permit was going to cost several thousand dollars$$$$ so that didn't happen..We take what we can get..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. I need to proof read more of my comments, the part I wrote about "I will plant something different, maybe" was pertaining to a large tree I took out but deleted. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. If you are like me sometimes your fingers move faster than your brain! Have a wonderful day..xxoJudy

      Delete
  16. What an ordeal! I'm glad the situation was addressed before your home is damaged beyond repair. Fortunate that the homeowners insurance covered this too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy