Tuesday, March 15, 2022

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...






 


You know that feeling?  

That feeling that you get when something comes together and it feels just right.  

That feeling, that for so long, seemed impossible to grasp - 

but then all of a sudden, it becomes so clear and easy. 

 Well, I'm not there just yet,

 but I think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.  

Or is that all nonsence?  

Only time and more practice will tell.






This was the inspiration picture that I found on Pinterest.  

It looks pretty straight forward, does it not? 

 Recreating it seemed like it would be a piece of cake...






...NOT! 

 What seemed to me like basic colors that should be easily put together was not that simple.

 Right off the bat I was disappointed. 

I had read in one of the books that if you are having trouble painting watercolors 

you might be using the wrong paper.  

On YouTube the artist's recommend Arches cold press paper, so that is what I got. 

 The ratio of paint to water makes all the difference and that is really hard to get. 

 Also, the drying time between colors is so crucial and that concept was hard for me to grasp. 

 I always want to rush a project in order to see the finished product. 

 Also, I painted this particular painting wet on wet

 and that seems to be hard for me to master at this point.





Here is the next inspiration picture. 

 I forced myself to take the time needed and, I think, it paid off...






...this was painted wet on dry and it was easier to manage the colors 

and each step gave me a bit more satisfaction.  

I know it is far from perfection but the confidence I have gained is so helpful. 

 I am rather proud of this one

 but I haven't lost track of the fact that the next one might not be so proud worthy 

but I hope to continue the practice that I need and not get discouraged.






I worked on this sign also and it is now ready to hang.

 I have had the stencil for awhile and found a piece of old shelving when I was cleaning out the library.

  I love to do stenciling projects

 and have no fear when it comes to doing one.






Another "cheap" pillow turned over 

and, just in time for spring and Easter, 

a little bunny shows up. 

This copy was found in a catalog and the following is my rendition...






...I painted this with acrylics which I really enjoy using also. 

 I find it satisfying to paint on fabric 

as the colors can be easily blended.


The one thing that won't change is the fact that I can't draw.  

I just can't get the proportions from my eye to the paper. 

 Once I get the outline in position,

 I am beginning to see that I can fill in the centers

 so I have made up my mind that will be enough.


But, wait!!


I thought I might not have time to try any more

 but as it turned out I did, so here is the original picture...




...and the following is my version.





Below, another original...






...and again, my version.






As I said all that is needed is practice, practice, practice 

and I'm feeling more confident with each one.  

The better quality paper does make a big difference

 and now I am on the look out for better paints. 

 Right now I am using pictures that have been painted,  originally,  for inspiration. 

 It is easier for me to see where the shading, etc. should be. 

 The real test will be when I can take my own photos of a living subject

 and transform them into real works of art. 

 I think that is going to require a lot more practice. 


Have a wonderful week.



...Judy...






Here is a picture that doesn't require any practice. 

 Does it look to you like one dog's head on another's body?...






...but no. 

 It is just two buds getting a little shut-eye.



Sharing today at:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda









26 comments:

  1. I have been watching a few you tube videos on painting. They make it look so easy. I love how you have painted these pretty flowers and that Bunny is so adorable!! Great job you are doing. You are so talented Judy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. I love watching those videos too. I especially like the Australian woman, Louise de Masi. She paints so realistically and I guess that is what I like, and they do make you think you could just grab a brush and go for it, but I find it a challenge, but am enjoying learning..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Ha ha those cuties. You have such talent for looking at the inspiration pics and then doing your own. That takes lots of talent and you have such a gift. Love the bunny. Happy Tuesday. Have a good week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. It is becoming a little easier but I think I would feel better about it all if I could draw to begin with. Hope you are enjoying some nice weather..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. How fun, I love the Ah-hah moments. Watercolor is such a fickle ...itch...sometimes. And I see you have wrassled her to the ground for the moment. Keep explore and I think you are totally getting it. One thing I found when I did with my watercolors and I thought it wasn't working---was I photo'd it, then edited into black and white---if everything was gray---then I knew I had to up the contrasts and color depths or lighten others. Most important is to have FUN! Love that Bunny!!!!! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I hadn't thought of doing that but I will try. There are a lot of little hints that will help and this sounds like one that might. I think I need a lot of hints..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Well all I can say Judy is your artwork is 100% better than I could do. I like to draw, but hate paint and watercolor mediums of all kinds. I think your watercolors are just wonderful! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. If your drawings are good and you think my colors are good that maybe we could switch and we would both be happy..Happy Tuesday my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Your paintings look great! My mom used to do watercolors but I have never tried. Love the bunny pillow too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda. I am having fun with it all and hope that I can learn more along the way..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. I think all of your paintings came out great! You are very talented and the colors blend so well. Love your rabbit pillow.. and the last couple of flowers are just so pretty.... perfect in my eye! I have never painted really.. took one oil painting class and after the first class, never went back! Seemed too complicated to me! I have done a little watercolor washing but that's it. I can draw (by copying something) but painting just never interested me... oh and love your stencilled sign also.. I did used to love to stencil.. I would stencil on fabric with fabric paints... and I think I did paint one pillow cover. I drew on it with a black felt pen (copied something) and then colored it in with fabric paints. I did love that pillow! Just know you are very good at what you are doing! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. You are so kind and I appreciate it. I used to paint a lot of sweatshirts and sold them. That was my first experience of painting on fabric but I have never used any fabric paints, I have just always used acrylics. The one problem with them was that they were heavy with paint after I was through. It was all right but maybe fabric paints would have been better?? I will have to try them on another project..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Practice does make progress; that is the lesson that I have learned when trying to master a new talent :)
    Your watercolors are pretty, and I can see your progress.
    Your bunny pillow and sign turned out excellent.

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kerin. I am having fun and that probably should be the most important part, right? But I will keep practicing..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. You are doing absolutely beautifully, Judy! It's hard to believe those are your first watercolors, although I know your previous painting experience with acrylic helps -- but as you know, it's a medium with properties all its own. I can see the progression and I'm thrilled. (And adoring that bunny on fabric, too.) For my more complex paintings, I use a graphite transfer method or light box/window tracing to be more exactly. My sketching (as you probably saw from my art journal post the other day) and typical style are pretty different. Have you visited "Lets Make Art" videos on youtube? There are some terrific videos where you can paint along for inspiration. I love them! And Chris Petrie on youtube too. You can bring your own style to it, of course, but someone is walking through the tricky parts. Wet on wet takes time but it can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I appreciate your critique. I am feeling more confident with each one. I ordered some new paints so hopefully I can get some better color mixtures. I will check out these videos and, hopefully, I can learn from them. I am enjoying to learn the different techniques, whether I can master them or not is another story..Happy Wednesday and I appreciate your help..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. You are doing a phenomenal job with your painting. Water colors are so hard. I have never really worked with them but used to do quite a bit of acrylic painting. I haven't done that in years either. Love that bunny. It's a cute as can be.
    Hope you have a great day, Judy- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. I am having a lot of fun with it all. I find it very relaxing, even the learning part I am enjoying now..Happy Wednesday..Hope you are doing well my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Judy,
    Well, I am very impressed with all of your painting projects...I think they are wonderful and you should be proud of yourself... I do not have a steady hand when it comes to things like this and with my carpal tunnel and arthritis in my hands, this type of hobby is out of reach for me...Plus my drawing talents are usually stick people!! LOL!! Thanks so much for sharing your projects and thanks too for visiting and for leaving such a nice comment!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I am having some fun but am trying a sunflower and having a hard time with it for some reason. And I can't even draw stick people!!..Happy Spring time..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Delightful post, love all your work. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much V. I am having fun trying..Tomorrow is first day of spring. We are having rain today..Happy Springtime..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Judy, you are so talented and I love your commitment to your art and to the process. Finding joy in a hobby is such a great way to spend your time...learning and growing. I don't make enough time for that, I'm always rushing through my crafts to get to the end result so I can display them. Ps- those pups are so cute! I love how much they love each other. It's always good to have a buddy, especially at naptime. Happy weekend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. I am having fun trying and it is really relaxing for me so I don't mind closing myself away for a few hours even though I don't accomplish what I would like.. Happy Springtime..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Hi Judy, you are quite the painter! You have to have quite the eye to do such a beautiful job recreating your inspiration. I'm a terribly impatient painter, but I do enjoy it too. Those too buddies under the covers are pretty cute! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. This week hasn't been as fruitful as last week, but I am not giving up. You wouldn't know that Kai and Robin are good friends during the regular day, they completely ignore each other, but when it is nap time they like to cuddle..Happy Spring tomorrow..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy