Tuesday, January 9, 2024

THE JOYS OF WINTER...

 






Not doing much. 

 Just sitting here on our behinds, 

contemplating the joys of winter.



I am not a winter person. 

 Never have been, never will be 

but I am practicing very hard learning to live with it. 

 A day without sunshine rides on top of my head 

like a heavy weight 

and as there are many days like that during 

the long spell of winter, 

I am determined to make "light" of it.  

You have seen that sign that says

 "I am so sorry for the things I said 

when it was winter"?

The poor Captain really deserves to have that sign!




I know there are many things to love

 about winter and I do.  

The first snowfall 

when everything seems quiet and clean, 

heavy sweaters and quilts, 

being lulled to sleep by the sound of rain 

that chases away the summer heat.  

I always look forward to all that,

 but there are those times when that isn't enough 

and those are the feelings that need attention.



A picture is worth a thousand words.

 and can turn the mind to a more peaceful place. 

A comfortable chair, in front of a warm fire, 

reading by lamplight, 

can transport a person to a place of

 content and comfort...





...and sometimes the very objects

 that signify the heart of winter 

can be calming and warm. 

 I've placed an old print

 of a small cottage nestled in the woods,

 along with my great-grandmother's ironstone pitcher filled with twigs from the garden 

and the garland and candles left over from Christmas, dotted with snow berries, 

add to a scene of winter at its best.



The Christmas tree

 still remains in the corner of the parlor 

as we are having our family celebration mid January.  

With the addition of a few wayward snowflakes 

it seems to take on a feeling of winter

 but the twinkling lights

 add the warmth that is definitely needed.




The table is set 

for our long awaited gathering.  

Simple winter greenery 

runs down the center

 accented with the colors of Christmas and winter...



  

...the place settings are Wood & Sons.     

The pattern and color 

reminds me of spring 

and I can't help but feel

 the good things that come about 

when we return to that season 

and yet the warmth of the smiles

 that will be around the table 

keep me grounded in the beauty of 

the here and now...




...and isn't it amazing 

that just a trip to the grocery store 

can bring with it

 the most simplest of pleasures.


Happy New Year everyone!


...xxoJudy...




Sharing today at:

Love Your Creativity Link Party #234 | Life and Linda












16 comments:

  1. I hope you have Glorious family time when you all get together. We are getting our first heavy snowfall right now...and I'm very happy to say we don't have to go anywhere or do anything until tomorrow. I'm with you in needing sunshine...first thing i do is open all the windows in the morning---hoping. but now it is glistening in white and you can barely see across the street. Hugs, and warm wishes, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. We had a little flurry of snow two days ago but didn't last long, now just cold and dreary..Happy New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. How exciting to have family time this month. That will be so nice. We are getting hit with a big snowstorm today and tomorrow in Illinois. Lots of the white stuff. It looks pretty on all the trees and grass. Covers up all the dead and dormant life in the garden. Have a great week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. New snow is so beautiful. The first part of winter is wonderful, isn't it?! We had a small flurry and now gone but left the cold here..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Well we have not had a real snowfall here in Michigan yet, so I cannot complain about Winter yet. Rained all day again today and temps in the 40's. I just hope the snow does not come in February hard and heavy. Beautiful pics and love the greenery! Who said you cannot keep a tree up past Christmas. Both my big ones are still up. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I imagine your first snow will be spectacular. I don't mind leaving the tree up a little longer. I put most everything Christmas away already so won't be too bad now. Stay warm..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. I love your warm and charming home. It looks like such a friendly, cozy spot. Enjoy your winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bernideen. I'm glad you see it that way. I try hard to make it feel like that and have fun doing it..Happy New Year, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy, I'm not a fan of winter, either. It's long, cold and dark in my neck of the woods. However your home looks so lovely, warm and charming. It's the perfect place to hibernate during those chilly months!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim, and hibernate I do! I enjoy being warm and cozy Happy New Year, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
    2. Judy, I'm a Texas girl so I'm not accustomed to nor a fan of snow and ice. I don't mind cold weather in moderation, actually love sweater weather and sitting by a fire, but cold, bitter conditions are not for me. Your home looks warm and cozy. I'm happy you still have your tree up, being enjoyed. My tree remains up as well, though I brought down all the ornament boxes today to begin the process of un-decorating the tree. I hate to see it go, but I will transition to my snowpeople and keep a winter theme going through February. Enjoy your family gathering. Stay warm and cozy! Happy 2024!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much, Sarah. I wanted to leave a bit of Christmas cheer for our celebration so the tree stays. It is not that much to pack up when all is said and done. Yesterday was a cold miserable day but today the sun is shining slightly. I will take what I can get.. Happy New Year..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a winter person either. I hate being cold. When it's cold, and rainy, i like to snuggle in and be cozy. Your tree is lovely Judy. Happy New year. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. There is nothing like being cozy and winter is certainly the time for it. Happy New Year, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy,
    Your home looks so darn inviting and cozy....Just perfect for the Winter months...Love your tablescape........We had our first big snowfall , over 5 inches, since 2021!! I love Winter because to me, it is the nesting season....Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Deb. We had a tiny bit of snow, now just rain and fog. The kids are coming up today so that will brighten things up..Happy New Year..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy